IKARIA - THE ISLAND OF LONG LIFE
Visit this hidden place of Eden, Ikaria, to discover for yourself exactly why on the island of Ikaria a large proportion of the population reaches the highest rate of long life!
Combine your holidays exploring the pure nature of Ikaria, whilst making your own quest on the course of longevity.
Recent scientific research (April 2009) rated Ikaria island in the top 5 areas of the world with the highest percentage of extreme longevity.
See more at www.bluezones.com/ikaria
Researchers, doctor Gianni Pes who sought for the causes and the conditions that created and maintained this unique phenomenon, and professor Michel Poulain - demographer of EUROSTADT (central statistics institution of European Union), were here to verify the uniquely high rate of the population over 90 years old, with true facts.
After an inquiry on the island, the scientists reached the conclusion than longevity on Ikaria takes place due to a natural way of life (nutrition, health, work), human relations (customs, social structure, culture, everyday life) and other factors.
Here are some small everyday tips from Centenarians from Ikaria
that will help you to be in good health condition,
and contribute to a better quality of life.
| || |
People get their daily exercise without thinking about it. That reduces the risk of metabolic syndromes and cardiovascular diseases.
- There are a lot of beautiful walking paths in Ikaria, waiting for you to walk them.
| || |
- Wild greens - A variety of more than 150 kinds, which are very rich in antioxidants.
- Alcohol - Consumption of moderate amounts of Ikarian wine.
- Honey - Almost daily consumption of Ikarian honey, which is very rich in vitamins.
- Herbs - Frequent consumption of local herbal teas, which lower blood pressure and decrease the risk of heart diseases and dementia.
- Frequent consumption of goat’s milk dairy products.
| || |
- Sufficient time up to 8 hours according to one’s need.
- Taking a daily nap of about 30 minutes to reduce the risk of heart attack by 35%.
Strong sense of family and community bonds which is proven to promote long life.
- Tight family bonds that allow elderly people to be active and useful members of the family.
- Strong social connections that won’t let old people isolate themselves. On the contrary, they are present in social events, celebrations, traditional feasts (panigiria).
- Low sense of time urgency. Ikarians feel fewer obligations to follow their daily schedule so that lower amounts of heart-harming stress hormones are released into their bodies.
- More free time - Ikarian lifestyle offers you more free time to socialise. Ikarians never miss a chance for a nice chat (in person), and they very rarely turn down a chance to celebrate and dance.