Theoktistis monastery is situated in the north part of Ikaria, near the village of Pigi, in a lush green forest.
The whole church is decorated with frescoes with faces and figures of Saints of Old and New Testament, and also with the donors of frescoes. According to an old sign on the church, the monastery had been established in October 1688, but it's considered to be founded before that.
In 1500 AD, its most prosperous period, it had an average of 100 monks, and the last two nuns left in 1982. Today, inhabitants of the area look after the place.
There is also "Theoskepasti" (a small chapel under a gigantic rock) that according to the legend, when the remains of Saint Theoktistis was found, without anyone knowing to whom they belonged, the locals took them to the nearest cave, where they built this small chapel known as "Theoskepasti" (it means that its roof is provided by God). In memory of Saint Theoktisti, there is a big commemoration at the monastery every year on the 9th of November.